The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and Saint Joseph was built in 1752-1766 on the order of Wacław Rzewuski, a Grand Crown Hetman (title of the highest military commander after the monarch) of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. He, according to some data, was the author of the project. The church was intended to become a copy of Baroque-Classicist Basilica of Superga, constructed in 1717-1731 in the vicinity of Turin, Italy.
The architect was Italian Carol Romanus. It was made of brick, with a diameter of 12 meters and the height of 27 meters. On the portico with 14 Corinthian style columns, 7 saint sculptures were placed (one of which was lost), including the one of Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph. The interior of the church was painted by numerous artists – both Ukrainian and from abroad. Walls were decorated with an opulent portrait of Wacław Rzewuski and epitaph plaques from grey marble to Aleksander Lubomirski (1804) and Rozalia Lubomirska (1794), who was among Queen Marie Antoinette of France’s favorite ladies-in-waiting and who died on the guillotine at Place de Grève in Paris together with her. Not too far there is a white marble Neo-Renaissance plaque to Leon Rzewuski (1869). There was also a commemorative plaque from pink marble in front for the event of erecting the church, dated 1763.